JOB OPENING: Accounting Supervisor
Position Status: Full Time
SUMMARY OF POSITION
At Outlook Nebraska Inc, you’ll find technology which enable blind individuals to fulfill an array of job opportunities. You’ll find them all in an environment that embraces diversity in people and opinions, and celebrates successes.
If you like working in a team environment and staying busy, Outlook wants you! We have an excellent opportunity for you to work with an industry leading company in Omaha Nebraska.
We are currently searching for an Accounting Supervisor. Responsibilities include the day-to-day transactional functions in the financial area of the Company. The supervisor will lead, develop, evaluate and mentor the accounting department staff. This position requires an associate degree in accounting or equivalent, two or more years of accounting experience, knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems, Proficient with Microsoft Excel including use of pivot tables, formulas / functions, and Proficient with Microsoft Word.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Other duties may be assigned).
- Supervises and coordinates activities of associate(s) engaged in calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain and record timely and accurate financial data for use in maintaining accounting and statistical records.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounts payable, accounts receivable function to ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounting information.
- Carry out customer collection(s), freight claims and reconciling payment variances in a timely fashion according to department guidelines.
- Backup to the Benefits & Compliance Specialist to perform the bi-weekly payroll function when deemed necessary
- Prepare, compile and complete daily, monthly, and quarterly reports as requested by the Controller.
- Prepares and audits, when requested, accounts requiring analysis and preparation of supporting documents to ensure that all entries are entered into the system properly.
- Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules and expedites workflow in the accounts payable and receivable function.
- Review and post sales and purchasing batches.
- Full understanding of the trial balance and responsible for monthly trial balance reconciliations as designated by the Controller.
- Work with each associate in the development of their annual professional goals and implementation of steps to attain.
- Completion of the annual evaluation of responsible associates.
- Maintain efficient and effective lines of communication with the Controller, fellow associates, and management.
- Contribute to the team spirit through leadership, fellowship and encouragement.
- Fully devoted to mission of Outlook Nebraska, Inc. (Outlook) “to positively impact everyone who is blind and visually impaired”. Any business activities outside of Outlook shall not have a negative impact on the fulfillment of the responsibilities at OUTLOOK.
- Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative task correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Delegates work assignments to subordinates as needed; matches the responsibility to the person; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
OUTLOOK LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Project Management – Coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans, able to multi-task and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; collaborates well between team members and departments.
- Quality/Quantity Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality; meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Oral Communication – Convey easily and quickly any message; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens attentively and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; maintain professional nonverbal communication related to situation
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret complex written information.
- Leadership –Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Initiative/Innovation – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed. Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others attention.
- Associate’s degree in accounting
- Minimum of two years accounting experience
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel including use of pivot tables, formulas / functions
- Working knowledge of other MS Office products (Word, Outlook, etc.)