JOB OPENING: Communications Manager
Position Status: Full Time
Salary Grade: Exempt DOE
SUMMARY OF POSITION
As the Communications Manager, you will lead the communications team that helps deliver growth in participation and revenue for Outlook Nebraska’s Employment and Enrichment Programs. You and your team will develop and execute a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that supports increased revenue via sales of products and services, increased donor interaction and community support, growth in Employment and Enrichment Program utilization, and growing relationships with local, state, and federal officials.
You will collaborate closely with your peers across departments, leading strategy discussions, communication plans and executions, providing cross departmental support. You partner with your team to create solid campaign creative briefs and will rally your extended team, including external partners, to build innovative strategies and execution plans. You will be the brand advocate and ensure all communications are true to Outlook’s brand. You thrive on variety and complexity within your projects. One day will be focused on designing the messaging strategy and execution plan for a fundraising event, the next will be developing a go-to-market communications strategy to support distributor sales of a new product, and another might be reviewing the plan for the next quarter’s earned media relations and paid media buy. As an experienced senior manager, you are experienced at juggling hats and priorities frequently and helping your team members learn to do so.
Your passion for positively impacting everyone who is visually impaired is bolstered by a “can-do” attitude that inspires your team and others to engage more deeply with Outlook’s mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Other duties may be assigned).
- Collaborates with fund development, products and services sales team, Employment and Enrichment programs teams to develop communications strategies to help deliver the organizational and departmental revenue and utilization growth goals.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates integrated product and services marketing, regional public relations, general donor relations, and government relations plan to empower Outlook teams to cultivate and enhance relationships with customers, the media, donor organizations, key stakeholders, and the general business community
- Develops annual expense budget for marketing plans. Responsible for managing and evaluating expenses and making adjustments to plan to achieve return on investment.
- Ensures consistent application of Outlook brand identify across all communications.
- Responsible for guiding team that produces website, social media, digital marketing, print materials, direct marketing, paid and earned media campaigns.
- Works with and guides communications team to establish and implement the communications calendar, proactively developing and launching content on time to deliver growth and communications objectives.
- Evaluates effectiveness of communications campaigns and executions.
- Develops and manages the strengths and professional growth of the marketing and communications team to support the development and implementation of strategic initiatives
- Leads events planning and execution process for fundraising events in partnership with fund development team.
- Creates new ways of engaging our corporate and individual contributors
- Facilitates effective cross-functional teamwork with members of Outlook’s sales, programs and fundraising functions
- Sources and manages the use of external resources (e.g., public relations firms, advertising agencies, photographers, printers, digital media experts, etc.) to accomplish communications strategy and plans
- Is responsible for the effective operations of the marketing and communications function, including budgeting, planning, and other internal administrative processes
- Directs market research activities to keep abreast of changing demographics and other relevant factors for ongoing evaluation of marketing and communications plans and to monitor emerging issues
- Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics
- Learns and develops from personal experience and from others contributing to the team spirit through leadership, fellowship and encouragement
- Embraces the opportunities in change and lead others to a place of clarity and commitment
- Fosters a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work of Outlook, the communities we serve, and our workforce.
- Ensures the completion of an annual evaluation of workforce members
OUTLOOK LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans, able to multi-task and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Teamwork – balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; collaborates well between team members and departments.
- Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve departmental goals; understands department strengths & weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Verbal / Nonverbal Communication – Convey easily and quickly any message; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens attentively and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; maintain professional nonverbal communication related to situation
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively with a high level of sophistication; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret complex written information.
- Presentation Skills – Presents clearly and informatively, easily maintaining audience attention and responding to audience needs; able to facilitate discussion, progress effectively, and manage audience as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required, with an emphasis in marketing
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience holding progressively responsible positions in marketing and communications for nonprofit, corporate, and/or agency organizations
- Must demonstrate relevant experience: strategic communications plan development, paid media strategy, sales team support, marketing team leadership, cross-functional team leadership, customer relations, ability to translate customer insight into actionable messaging campaign
- 1-2 years supervisory experience.
- Experience with both B2B marketing through distributorships and B2C marketing communications.