JOB OPENING: Director of Business Development
Position Status: Full Time
Division/Department: Converting Sales
FLSA Classification: Exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This director plays an integral role in supporting the mission of the organization by being an active participant in the overall development of Outlook associates that report to this position. They lead and implement strategies to realize opportunities that drive sales of janitorial and restroom paper products and to expand the current product line to meet customer needs. As a member of the Strategic Leadership Team, the Director of Business Development collaborates with cross functional teams assisting in the development, implementation and monitoring of sales and marketing plans.
This leader provides overall support and management of the company’s sales team and reports directly to the CEO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Other duties may be assigned).
- Establishes and manages relationships with end users, potential end users and multiple distribution channels.
- Works with National Industries for the Blind, AbilityOne not-for-profit agencies, manufacturers, distributors, vendors and other industry contacts to create new business and partnership opportunities.
- Generates and provides authenticated new and evolving sales opportunities to the Marketing Department enabling the development and implementation of marketing strategies.
- Evaluates the sales plans and related marketing strategies/plans to ensure sales goals are achieved.
- Ensures that products and services are marketed and sold in accordance with marketing and sales plan objectives.
- Provides information from customers, suppliers and other industry contacts to other departments to facilitate the development and delivery of products to customers.
- Accountable for achieving maximum net margin and volume in relation to industry standards and trends.
- Participates in the development and implementation of marketing plans in collaboration with the Marketing Department monitoring plan changes necessary to meet sales plan goals and objectives for net margin and volume achievements.
- Provides sales and marketing reports for the strategic leadership team and other cross functional teams as needed.
- Participates in the weekly Strategic Leadership meeting to monitor progress and problem solve to achieve the one-year plan.
- Manages the sales staff. Responsible for setting objectives, budget, staffing and training of staff
- Provides direction to staff: plans and organizes workload, develops employee skills and monitors department and individual performance.
- Ensures customer satisfaction is measured and practices are implemented to meet customer expectations.
OUTLOOK LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans, able to multi-task and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; collaborates well between team members and departments.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve company, departmental, and personal goals.
- Verbal / Nonverbal Communication – Convey easily and quickly any message; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens attentively and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; maintain professional nonverbal communication related to situation
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret complex written information.
- Presentation Skills – Presents clearly and informatively, easily maintaining audience attention and responding to audience needs; able to facilitate discussion, progress effectively, and manage audience as needed.
- Fully devoted to the mission of Outlook Nebraska. “to positively impact everyone who is blind and visually impaired”. Any business activities outside of Outlook shall not have a negative impact on the fulfillment of the responsibilities at Outlook
- Active in the community
- Active in industry organizations
- BA Degree in business, marketing, sales or other related field required.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in sales, marketing, product development management or related field.
- Ability to develop, implement and monitor sales plans and marketing plans.
- Thorough understanding of all business processes and their relationships needed to bring products and services to market successfully.
- Excellent sales, presentation and relationship skills are required to develop customer contacts and relationships; and present and close sales deals.
- Knowledge of the federal, military and commercial markets.